Black Seeds Actions
- Analgesic: Relieves or dampens sensation of pain.
- Anthelmintic: (Also know as vermicide or vermifuge) destroys and expels intestinal worms.
- Anti-bacterial: Destroys or inhibits the growth of destructive bacteria.
- Anti-Inflammatory: Reduces inflammation.
- Anti-Microbial: Destroys or inhibits the growth of destructive microorganisms.
- Antioxidant: Prevents or delays the damaging oxidisation of the body’s cells – particularly useful against free radicals.
- Anti-Pyretic: (Also known as ferbrifuge) – exhibits a ‘cooling action’, useful in fever reduction.
- Anti-spasmodic: Prevents or eases muscle spasms and cramps.
- Anti-tumour: Counteracts or prevents the formation of malignant tumours*
- Carminative: Stimulates digestion and induces the expulsion of gas from the stomach and the intestines.
- Diaphoretic: Induces perspiration during fever to cool and stimulate the release of toxins.
- Diuretic: Stimulates urination to relieve bloating and rid the body of any excess water.
- Digestive: Stimulates bile and aids in the digestive process.
- Emmenagogue: Stimulates menstrual flow and activity.
- Galactogogue: Stimulates the action of milk in new mothers. Hypotensive: Reduces excess blood pressure.
- Immunomodulator: Suppresses or strengthens immune system activity as needed for optimum balance.
- Laxative: Causes looseness or relaxation of the bowels.
Black seed oil has been traditionally used for a vast array of ailments. What gives black seed oil it’s apparent ability to have a cure for all diseases is its ability to support a weak immune system. That would be specifically for those of us who are always getting ill, feel run down and have little energy. It gives your defense system the ability to fight. At the same time, it rebalances a hyperactive immune system bringing relief for those who have respiratory problems such as asthma, hay fever and aiding many allergies.
It is also has a cleansing and eliminatory effect on the digestive system (particularly the detoxification of the intestines). Regulation of the immune system and the detoxification of the intestines are foremost in good health since it is these that are the starting point for many health disorders.
Oil What is unique about its healing components is that it contains between 0.5 – 1.5 % essential oils which make it strong enough to be an aromatherapy massage oil in its own right. While many traditional uses of the oil indicate applying it externally for skin care such as acne and psoriasis, the majority of treatments call for it to be consumed.
Analysis has shown black seed oil to contain 100 components including vitamins A, B1 and B2, 15 amino acids including 9 essential amino acids, proteins, zinc, selenium, omega 3, 6 and 9 and thymoquinone. Thymoquinone has been the centre of study for many of the research papers written about the pharmaceutical properties of the plant. In 1959 when there were successful studies made in the Islamic world which attracted more attention in Muslim countries. It only attracted the attention of Western countries when Black seed was rediscovered in Germany.
In 1996, Baronesse a famous rachorse was suffering from acute asthma. Unhappy to give it the normal cortisone based therapies (with their awful side affects) their owners turned to a homeopathic vet. The vet was also at a loss of how to treat the horse when he sort the advice of a Dr in Egypt. “Black seed” was the reply, “it has been used for centuries for treating horses.” Baronesse who by this time was attached to oxygen equipment started eating black seed mixed in her food. To their amazement she could soon start breathing with ease and within weeks was not only super fit but winning medals again. Her owner happened to be the daughter of a top immunologist in Munich, Dr Peter Schleicher. He had been so impressed by this event that he administered black seed to Dr. Friedrich Carpenter, the former Federal Minister of the Interior in Germany, who was also suffering from asthma. He was the head of 5 major studies on black seed mainly as a therapeutic agent for asthma, neurodermitis and allergies.